History of Nativity B.V.M. High School
Nativity BVM High School is a Catholic four-year co-educational secondary school. It was founded in 1955 as the successor to Pottsville Catholic High School (formerly Saint Patrick's High School) and Saint Stephen's High School in Port Carbon.
In 1927 Father Edward L. Gatens, pastor of Saint Patrick Church, Pottsville, planned the building of Pottsville Catholic High School. On October 15, Cardinal Dougherty of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia dedicated the new building at 112 7th Street (now All Saints School) which still bears the engraving "P.C.H. School" above the door. From 1928 to 1955, Pottsville Catholic was a diocesan Catholic high school with the Sisters of Saint Joseph as faculty. Saint Patrick's Grade School, housed in the same building, was a parish school. At that time, Catholic schools in this area still belonged to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
The constantly increasing enrollment made a new building imperative and Monsignor John Boyle, then pastor of St. Patrick's, Pottsville, was commissioned by Archbishop John O'Hara of Philadelphia to purchase ground for the new diocesan high school.
The Ku Klux Klan used to be very active in Schuylkill County. Before Nativity BVM High School was built, burning crosses could be seen on top of Lawton's Hill from the area in and around Pottsville.
When Lawton's Hill was selected as the site for the new Catholic high school, the cross was a prominent theme in the building's design. Windows of amber glass, facing westward, form one large cross that looks out from all three floors of the building.
Catholic high school students beginning their freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years attended Nativity starting in September, 1955. The school was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary on April 14, 1956, with Reverend John J. Nugent serving as the founding principal. The Feast of the Nativity, or birthday, of the Blessed Virgin Mary is celebrated on September 8. The class of 1959 was the first class to go through an entire four years at Nativity.
During the early years, diocesan priests and Carmelite Fathers taught at Nativity; communities of Sisters on the faculty were Sisters of St. Joseph, Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, Sisters of St. Casimir, and Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The first graduating class of 148 seniors received their diplomas in June, 1956. The first yearbook of Nativity BVM High School was called the Ave Maria (Hail Mary) and published in 1956.
Father Nugent was principal of Nativity from 1955 to 1967. During his tenure, the Allentown Diocese was formed from an area that had formerly been part of the Philadelphia Archdiocese. In 1960, Catholic schools in Schuylkill, Berks, Carbon, Lehigh, and Northampton Counties became part of the new Allentown Diocese. In 1961, a senior named John Vincent Egan graduated and enrolled at Saint Charles Seminary. He was later to become Nativity's principal and work with faculty members who had been his teachers!
Soon the Holy Family Sisters joined other religious communities on the school faculty. Enrollment continued to increase; some classes had approximately 300 students, and the enrollment of the entire school rose to about 1300. The school did not charge tuition at that time, although students had to buy their own books and pay an activities fee. Seeing the need for an ongoing fundraiser, Father Nugent sought the help of local businessmen, who began plans for an annual dinner which they named the "Century Club" (after the nickname for a $100 bill) because the admission fee was $100. The first Century Club dinner was held in 1968, during the administration of Rev. Joseph T. Gilmore, who was principal of Nativity from 1967 to 1969.
Rev. John A. Rusek was principal during the 1969-1970 school year. The name of Nativity's yearbook was changed, and the 1970 school yearbook was known as The Lawtonian. "Skylines" was the name given to the school newspaper. Rev. Joseph D. Hulko was principal from 1970 to 1977. Rev. Leo F. Lenick was principal during the school year of 1977-1978. Rev. John V. Egan served as principal from 1978 to 1982, but died several years after he left Nativity.
By the early 1970's, Catholic schools had begun to charge tuition, and decreasing enrollment was a trend in most areas. In 1978, 178 seniors graduated from Nativity, and the school enrollment was still larger than it was in 1956.
Rev. Stephen L. Maco became principal in 1982 and served in that role until 1991. Rev. Anthony P. Mongiello was principal from 1991 to 1992. In 1991, the new Development Office of Nativity published the first Alumni Directory and the first Alumni Newsletter, Nativity Now. Nativity's Recruitment Committee was also formed during Father Mongiello's tenure. 97% of the graduating class of 1992 went on to further their education. Members of that class were awarded a total of over $700,000 in scholarships, grants, and awards.
Rev. Ronald C. Bocian was principal from 1992 to 1999. During Msgr. Bocian's tenure, there was a marked increase in Nativity's enrollment, especially in the freshman class, which increased by 68%. As before, the vast majority of graduates went on to college, many with awards, grants, and scholarships. There was also a dramatic increase in the number and variety of new courses and new teachers.
Rev. Ronald V. Jankaitis came on board at the beginning of the 1999-2000 academic year. He remained until July 14, 2008. Fr. Jankaitis was at Nativity as a teacher and prinicpal for 21 years.
Rev. Christopher L. Wakefield joined the Nativity community as President on July 15, 2008. At that time, Fr. Wakefield was joined on the Nativity Leadership Team by Principal Bruce Hess. This was the first time that Nativity had the President/Principal model at the school.
Mrs. Lynn Sabol was named Principal Pro-Tem of Nativity in January 2010. Mrs. Sabol has 27 years of dedicated service to Nativity in several capacities. She was named principal of the school on June 1, 2010.
Nativity's student-teacher ratio is 11 to 1. The dedicated faculty is made up of lay teachers. While Nativity is a Catholic secondary school, it accepts students of other religions. It also accepts students of all races, cultures, creeds, and economic backgrounds. As expressed in the last sentence of the school's Mission Statement, "Nativity BVM High School is a community dedicated to meeting the life needs of its individual students through quality academics, spiritual direction, community service, social responsibility, and athletic development, preparing its graduates to meet all of life's challenges."
"Be it known to all who enter here:
Christ is the reason for this school!
He is the ever-present Teacher,
The model for its faculty,
The inspiration of its students."
Matriculation Bar Chart & Letter
Chart | Letter
Nativity BVM High School is a four-year Diocesan Catholic High School situated in the city of Pottsville, Schuylkill County, PA. It draws students from Blue Mountain, Minersville, Pine Grove, Pottsville, Saint Clair, Schuylkill Haven, North Schuylkill, Shenandoah Valley and Mahanoy Area School Districts. The area is composed of families of mainly middle income and diversified ethnic backgrounds.
Catholic Diocesan High School
College Prep/General Education
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
Department of Education Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Mrs. Lynn Sabol - Principal
Mr. Lee Strause - Studies Coordinator
Mr. Jason Jones - Dean of Students
Mrs. Jennifer Daubert - Director of Development
Mrs. Jill Salmon - Director of Guidance
Ms. Mia Rohart - Guidance
Mr. Fran Foster - Director of Athletics
Mrs. Toni Holohan - Yearbook
Ms. Joan Wassell - Director of Spiritual Activities
Mrs. Rita Gemmell - Financial Manager
Rev. David Loeper - Chaplain
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary High School is a four year Diocesan (non-public) High School situated in the city of Pottsville atop Lawtons Hill. It draws students from Blue Mountain, Minersville, Pine Grove, Pottsville, Saint Clair, Schuylkill Haven, North Schuylkill, Shenandoah Valley and Mahanoy Area School Districts. The area is composed of mainly middle income families and diversified ethnic backgrounds.
Nativity exemplifies the essence of excellence in academics and affirms the traditional life values of Christianity in Catholic faith. Nativity accepts students of all races, cultures, creeds, and economic backgrounds and treats them as young adults in whom are instilled a belief in the dignity of each person and appreciation of their diverse ethnic backgrounds. Non-Catholic students compromise 12% of Nativity's population.
Nativity boasts a highly educated and dedicated faculty. The staff includes one Diocesan priest.
|Jennifer Daubert email@example.com Nativity BVM High School One Lawtons Hill Pottsville, PA 17901 United States of America Phone: 570-622-8110 Fax: 570-622-0454